Start a new topic

Improving piano sight reading

Hi, sight reading factory is really amazing, especially for a computer program developing sheet music. However, there are a few features I'd like to suggest for piano. Although the sheet music are not human written, it'd be really cool if the generated sheet music were constrained to certain parameters. For instant, left hand arpeggios ( in eighth notes) are really common in piano music. Certain left hand patterns should be implemented into the program such as : octaves, jumps, wide chords, and arpeggios. Currently the left hand only plays melodically (scales). The right hand (treble clef) should also feature arpeggios that span more than an octave. Thanks...

3 people like this idea

Hi, left hand patterns are after chords-only exercises are my biggest dream in new features for piano sight-reading. I'm thinking things like:

1. Alberti bass (only left hand, only right hand, or both taking turns in playing with pattern)

2. Broken chords (only up, and waving up and down)

3. Stride piano with alterations (bass-chord, waltz: bass-chord-chord, and things like in Chopin Nocturnes i.e. op.9 no.2

or

or

... and many more:)

The way I'm thinking about it, it will be the best to add every one of it as an option/level in customizing a sightreading exercise, so the left hand will play one pattern through whole exercise the only change being notes depending on actual chord.

These are all chord based, so if my understanding is correct, it would be enough to add a template with the pattern and then in the exercise make this pattern show up instead of quarter-note or half-note block chord.

As there are tons of patterns I was thinking that maybe another idea for things like this will be to allow users to create their own patterns i.e. in customizing exercise they choose the length of the pattern, lets say quarter note, then they define the "shape" of the pattern, for example alberti bass, 4 sixteenth-notes 1232, where 1 is the lowest note of chord, 2-middle, 3 - highest, and then once loading the exercise left hand chords are chosen as a selected rythm value (in this example as quarter notes) and then instead block chords shown as defined pattern. Downside would be memory needed to store this customized pattern so I'm not sure it's good idead to let users free with this kind of power. Or maybe limit the pattern number to 5 or 10, or save it as an external file that could be loaded by user. Not sure beacuse my programming knowledge is old and rusty, but you're doing a great job so I'm sure you will make it awesome.

So please, please, pretty please, make it happen:)

2 people like this

Offering common left hand patterns is a great point. It also speaks to style. Again, the software is already excellent. One way to make it even better would be if the user were able to select from various styles of piano music - like baroque, jazz, or classical, or ragtime. Each style has its unique characteristics in terms of popular progressions and idiomatic left and right hand patterns. Allowing the pianist to work through reading various types of rhythms and styles would be a quick way to get better faster, and would greatly increase the value of this software.

2 people like this

I totally agree with Maciek Ejsymont's suggestion. Implementation of this simple request would make sightreadingfactory 10 times more attractive to pianists. I would use it every day, and recommend to all my musician friends.

Thanks for considering it....

1 person likes this

Hi Maciek,

Thanks for the feedback!  We do hope to add this in the future, but there are no immediate plans.  We are a very small team and have huge development plans and have to plan accordingly. We do track votes so we can work on the most requested items first.  We'll chalk up another vote and keep you updated on any developments!

Nancy D'Alema

Sight Reading Factory

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the feedback!  Besides tracking votes, we also log your email address with the feature request so we can keep you updated on any developments.

Thanks!

Hi Joe and Jay,

Thanks for the suggestion! This is something that we will look to add in the future.  We will keep you updated on any developments!

Nancy D'Alema

SightReadingFactory.com

Login or Signup to post a comment