Start a new topic

Scale Degree Range

When I teach sight-reading, I typically start with a short range of notes, such as the first 3 notes of the scale (Do, Re, Mi/Me). Then I typically progress to the first 5 notes (Do, Re, Mi/Me, Fa, Sol), followed by the first 5 notes including skips in the tonic triad.

There is currently not the ability to customize levels in this manner, but it would be hugely helpful. For example, if a student was singing in the key of C Major, I could set it to only utilize the first 5 scale degrees, or: C-D-E-F-G. The student would not encounter any notes other than those five. Then, I could use the existing feature to use custom leaps within that to get certain jumps: C-G (Do-Sol), C-E (Do-Mi).

Please add this feature! The more that teachers can tailor these exercises according to student need, the more we will want to use it! Another person suggested this 3 years ago, I see. I'm surprised that it has not been incorporated yet!

1 person likes this idea

Yes, I agree! The pentatonic scale sets that are currently offered are useful, but we also need the ability to specify solfege ranges. It would also help when generating melodies that use only a plagal version of the major scale (low so to high so), etc.

It would also be highly useful to be able to specify chromatic solfege pitches, so that we could generate a lot of melodies that include, for example, only the notes of the major scale plus fi.

For middle school, it is difficult to use this without being able to specify which solfege scales my students should sing. I don't want to have to customize every single level for a specific key. 

Login or Signup to post a comment